With the advent of the internet and smartphones, the on-demand economy has transformed a lot. The transportation market has experienced a massive change with the launching of premium ride-sharing and cab booking applications. The huge popularity of such apps that fulfill the daily needs of commuters has led to a spark of curiosity among the existing clan of entrepreneurs.
In fact, it is definitely the best time for startup enthusiasts to make use of the benefits of the lucrative taxi industry. However, it has become vital for them to have a mobile app for launching a taxi business effectively. One can also opt for a readymade solution like an Uber clone app to enter the market as soon as possible.
Moreover, it is very important to know the cost of developing a taxi app. Big taxi booking app competitors like Uber, Lyft, Curb, Grab, Didi Chuxing have devised specific strategies for developing and operating the best app within a fixed budget.
Developing an app like Uber may or may not cost you a fortune as it depends on the kind of technicalities and functionalities that will form the app. However, before diving into the details, it is necessary to know the workings of a taxi-booking app. For starters, your app or Uber clone will be an amalgamation of two kinds of apps – one is for passengers and the other app is for the drivers. Here is a comprehensive list of app functions for drivers, and passengers corresponding to both the front-end and back-end.
Driver App Functions
- Driver’s authorization
- Tracking of cab and status updates
- Cancellation and acceptance of orders
- A heat map with tariff zones
- Number of ride requests
- Routing to pickup and destination points
- GPS navigation functionality
- Search for best routes via Google Maps
Functions of Passenger App
- Verification and authorization of the passenger
- Option for selecting cab type
- Fare cost calculator
- View booking history
- Options for rating and feedback
- Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) at pick up and drop locations
While the front-end of your app will decide if your users are satisfied with the UI/UX, there is also the backend of the application where all the magic happens. A robust application integrated with the best back-end technologies will definitely enhance the functioning of the app.
On-demand Taxi App Backend Functions
- Push notifications
- Analytics and statistics
- Secure Log-in
- Payment gateway
- Calculation of trip cost
- Calculation of revenue earnings
- Google Maps API integration
- Track available drivers
- Track ongoing trips
- A database consisting of reviews, and ratings
- Payment processing (invoicing, weekly payment, etc.)
Well, if you have been thinking about developing a ride-sharing app, you do not have to add all features for succeeding in the market. Incorporating more number of features may increase the cost of building an app. However, the cost can be reduced to a large extent by excluding add-on features.
Having said that, if your budget has room to accommodate these additional secondary features, you can add them to your app. Also, you can go for customizing an existing Uber clone app. This will save you precious time and money.
Here’s the list of the features that can be added or excluded according to your budget. While secondary features can be beneficial for users, it can also affect the performance and overall usability of your taxi app. So, it is your call!
Add-on Features of Ride-Sharing App
- In-app wallet feature
- Options for ratings and feedback
- Live updates on the heat map
- Calculator for bonus (drivers and passengers)
- A reporting system for disconnecting users (after several warnings)
- Seamless tracking of promo codes, discounts, etc.
- Option for adding multiple destinations with separate payments
- Choose nearest drivers and match by passenger/driver rate
- Search by price
- User profiles with social network integration
When it comes to the cost of developing such apps, the development cost can range from $1959 to $6999. The cost of development also varies according to the platform you choose: iOS / Android or multi-platform. Similarly, the place of app development and the size of your app development teams also decide the cost of developing an app. All in all, if you wish to save money while building a taxi app, an Uber clone is your best friend.